I Have A Dream...

I got one video yesterday - the video of Martin Luther King delivering an address from the at the Lincoln Memorial, Washington DC; an address that changed the United States for ever. I was really captivated by the way the great man spoke, the way he made the adoring thousands go an an emotional ride of hope. Well and truly a great orator; and probably a great world leader that never came. I was so much attracted to the speech that I dug out the transcript of that speech. Needless to say, I was spell bound by the way he had expressed his views.
One line in that entire speech captured my imagination; and I felt that it holds true even today; in every stage of life. It went as:
"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."
How apt. Its not just the racial bias that requires a mention here. There is a bias that exists in the society against the ethos of what an individual is. I am scared to tell others what I am; since I am sure that our society agrees to the view that I should be allowed to live the way I am. The fact that I am not straight would most probably be interpreted as me being a pervert. Many a times I feel that by living this dual life, I am messing up everything in my life. But even after know that, I still go on the same way as I am left out with no options in life. That's where I would like to yell out to the world the same line what Martin Luther King spoke out. I don't have the conviction of King in making this dream come true, but I do hope it comes through at some point of time. And at that moment, I would tell the same lines that Martin Luther King used to finish his address:
"Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"
Its on hope that the world moves on... So do I...
One line in that entire speech captured my imagination; and I felt that it holds true even today; in every stage of life. It went as:
"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."
How apt. Its not just the racial bias that requires a mention here. There is a bias that exists in the society against the ethos of what an individual is. I am scared to tell others what I am; since I am sure that our society agrees to the view that I should be allowed to live the way I am. The fact that I am not straight would most probably be interpreted as me being a pervert. Many a times I feel that by living this dual life, I am messing up everything in my life. But even after know that, I still go on the same way as I am left out with no options in life. That's where I would like to yell out to the world the same line what Martin Luther King spoke out. I don't have the conviction of King in making this dream come true, but I do hope it comes through at some point of time. And at that moment, I would tell the same lines that Martin Luther King used to finish his address:
"Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"
Its on hope that the world moves on... So do I...

1 comment:
so you have started writing with an optimistic view of the future...great...thanx for my gift.
Post a Comment