Wrong Expectations



Why do people start expecting things from others? The very moment people start expecting things, be rest assured that some disappointment is on the way. Its an experience that I have had quite a few times in my life; but still never learned lesions out it. I still try to expect things out of others. invariably ending up in utter disappointment. Every time I have that sort of an experience, I tell to myself that this was the last time that I would be expecting something from anyone. But that resolution, like many, very rarely lasts. I get back to the same old position much faster than the time I took to take a resolution in life. There has always been this tendency in me to put my everything emotionally to people whom I am attached to. Probably what they call as no half measures in emotional attachment. Its all fine till that point. But the moment I star expecting the other side as well to respond to me in the same way, I am inviting trouble. And troubles always had a big emotional bonding with me; they come flying to me any given point of time. Probably at this point of life, if there was anyone whom I can call as my soul-mate, it would be "troubles"; because its there with be 24 hours a day, 365 days an year.

The premise to all of these is an interesting piece of conversation that I had with an extremely close friend of mine. We were talking about something, and then I was trying put forth my view about it. Maybe I was aggressive in putting in that; and he naturally got agitated with it all. It came in as bit of a shock for me - the way he responded; as for long I have known him from very close quarters as a very soft spoken person. I tried to introspect as to why something like that happened? And the answer that I found pointed me to the same old problem. I was expecting him to go my way; when I had no right in expecting so. After all its his life. He needs to live it the way he feels satisfied; and not the way I think he should live. Old habits die very slowly I guess. At least now I should change myself. Otherwise I would end up loosing the very little friends that I have as well.

They say - to make mistakes is human, but to repeat mistakes is criminal. Hmm.. when will I learn???

No comments: